Where is The Paddock located?  
The address for The Paddock is: 
5900 Copper Beech Blvd.
Kalamazoo, MI 49009

This location is west from campus, approximately 2.5 miles away!

What furniture comes with the units?  
-A stylish sofa and loveseat
-Kitchen table and chairs (package based)
-Stools for seating of two to three people at the breakfast bar
-A sleek coffee table and matching end table
-Bed frames and comfortable mattresses
-Stylish dresser and night stand
-A spacious and new computer work station combined with a luxurious task chair. 
-Elegant stainless steel look appliances (select units)
-Individual bathroom cabinets
-A massive and bright 42" - 60" TVs (select units)

Is parking available?  
Yes. There is a $30 parking permit you can buy that is good for 1 year so you can park in our lots. 1 car per lease

How close is the campus?  
Western Michigan Universities’ campus is 2.5 miles west of campus. Don’t have a car? No worries! Take the exclusive Paddock bus that runs strictly to and from Western’s main campus from 7:30 AM until 8:00 PM! Kalamazoo Valley Community College is within a short 10 minute drive.

How can I arrange to see a The Paddock apartments?  
Call the leasing office at 269.341.9930!

What kind of information will The Paddock need from me to process my rental application?  
To ensure that students are the only people leasing from The Paddock, to rent an apartment the leasing office will need a state-issued photo ID and a student ID. If you don’t have a student ID you will have to provide some other proof of your enrollment. 

Is there an application fee?  
Yes. There is a $50 lease signing fee that you can pay with a check, credit card, or money order. The application process is straight-forward and simple. All you need to bring to the lease signing is a valid state ID and proof that you are a student (such as your WMU campus ID).

How do I pay my rent?  
As stated in your lease, you may only pay your rent with credit card or bank account via online payments. Aside from online payments we will also be taking checks & money orders, which we will process electronically. 
​You can mail money orders or checks to: 5900 Copper Beech Blvd., Kalamazoo, MI 49009.

You can find the link to the online payments under the "Residents" option on the menu located at the top of each webpage. Under this, an option for "Pay Your Rent" will appear when you move your mouse over the menu. Following the "Resident Portal" link will take you to the Resident portal that allows you to pay your rent online. You will need to contact the office for your account number for initial set up.

When does my lease begin?  
Most of The Paddock’s leases start on September 2nd. Occasionally there are exceptions, please contact the leasing office if you have further inquiry.

What if I want to move in before that?  
An early move-in might be possible for an additional fee.  Contact the leasing office for more information.
Can I ship stuff to The Paddock to arrive before I do?  
We can hold onto a few small packages for you here at the office. Call the office for more details.  

What utility accounts do I need to establish? What is included?  
Internet, Cable, Water, Sewer, and Trash are included in your rent. If you would like a land phone-line Charter can provide you with this service. Electric would be your responsibility. Make sure to register for renters insurance prior to your move in!

Why should I get renter's insurance?  
The Paddock insurance does not cover your personal belongings. If you want your personal belongings to be insured against theft, fire, and natural disasters you should get yourself a renter's insurance policy. Most policies also cover accidental damage or loss to possessions such as your laptop even when not at home. One thing you should do before you buy a renter's insurance policy is check to see whether you are covered under homeowner’s insurance that your parents are holding. Some homeowners' policies include coverage for dependents when they are away at school. The Paddock recommends GRAD GUARD as an insurance provider and will email info out closer to move in.

What is my mailing address?      
We have many different building addresses. Just contact the office and we will be happy to send your new address to you within 2 weeks of your scheduled move in!

Where do I pick up my mail?
Steel mailboxes are located throughout the property. Packages will generally be delivered to your apartment door unless otherwise specified. Upon move-in the office will be able to help you locate your exact mailbox.

How do I connect to the network and internet?  
Currently, we provide you free of charge with Charter Internet. If you are having issues with your Modem, please feel free to contact Charter ( 888.345.7139 ) or stop by the local office located at 4176 Commercial Ave, Portage, MI 49002.
Something broke. How do I submit a maintenance request?  
You can submit a maintenance request using our automated maintenance request system. The service request form can be found on the menu located at the top of the webpage "Residents". If you place your mouse cursor over the "Residents" option a pop-down menu will appear and you will see the option "Resident Portal". When you click on the this option you will be taken to the webpage that allows you to submit your maintenance request.

What do I do if I have a maintenance emergency and it can't wait till morning?
If something has broke in your apartment and requires immediate attention and it is no longer office hours, please call the maintenance emergency number ASAP and our maintenance staff will be out in a jiffy! Please note that non emergencies will be billed to the resident for after hour services, including lock outs.  Maintenance emergency # - 269.251.1018.

I lost my keys, and now I'm locked out of my apartment!  
During business hours you can call management for a replacement key. After business hours you can call the emergency cell phone to get let in for a $25 fee.  Otherwise, you may want to find a place to crash for the night and call the office in the morning. 

Can I paint the walls / attach stuff to them with duct tape?  
When you move out, the apartment should look the same way it did when you moved in minus normal wear and tear. If tape has taken off paint from the walls or you change the color of the walls it must be touched up or put back to the original color or you will be charged for the cost of repainting the apartment.

I don't  want some piece of furniture that came in the apartment. What should I do with it? 
You have to keep the living room and bedroom furniture that comes with the apartment. You can choose to store it yourself, as long as it is back in the apartment before you move out.  

Are we allowed to have pets and are there any fees?
Yes you are allowed to have pets, but there are fees that need to be paid and all pets MUST be registered with the office. Restrictions apply, and all pets must pass the management pet interview. *Snakes are not allowed. We allow TWO pets per apartment. There is a non-refundable pet fee of $300.00 and a $30.00 monthly pet rent per-pet. The non-refundable pet fee must be paid prior to move in, or stay of pet. Any illegal pets found in apartments will be fined $300 per occurrence. Also, non-pick up of pet waste in an appropriate container will result in a $25 fine per occurrence. There are pet waste bags provided at each building location.

When does my lease end?  
Start and end dates are printed on your copy of the lease agreement. Common lease end dates are the end of July.

What happens if I drop out of school or decide to move and need to vacate early? Can I get off the lease?  
No. The best solution would be to find someone to take over your lease for you. You will need to notify the leasing office that you are interested in finding a replacement for your lease and the staff can provide you with further details for the process. It is the resident's responsibility to find a replacement.

When I leave, does everything in the apartment need to look exactly the way it did when I moved in?  
Except for normal wear and tear, the apartment must be returned in the same condition as it was when you took possession of it. It is your responsibility to fill in any nail holes so they are smooth with joint-compound (You can get materials to fill in nail holes from a hardware store). Tape should be removed carefully so as not to peel off the paint.  Paint must be the original color at move in, color and brand is available upon request.

I'm going away for the summer. Where can I store my stuff?  
One option you have for summer storage is to rent a storage space locally. Another option you have is to continue your lease for the summer months and leave your stuff there. This saves time and money because you don’t have to move twice. Not to mention, your apartment can provide a place to escape from the “parentals”.